Cranbrook House was designed by Detroit architect Albert Kahn in 1908 for the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth, and served as a family home for 40 years.
CranbrookHouse is a masterpiece of artistic and artisanal style designed by renowned Detroit architect Albert Kahn. It served as the family home of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth, the visionary couple who founded the Cranbrook Educational Community, for more than 40 years. Cranbrook is famous for its architecture in the Arts and Crafts and Art Deco styles.
The chief architect was Eliel Saarinen, while Albert Kahn was responsible for the Booth mansion. The sculptors Carl Milles and Marshall Fredericks also spent many years residing in Cranbrook. Built in 1908, Cranbrook is an English Tudor style house built in the American Arts and Crafts style by the famous Detroit architect Albert Kahn. In 1904, newspaper magnate George Booth bought a 174-acre farm 20 miles northwest of Detroit, which he named Cranbrook in honor of his ancient English home.
Corfield, Booth, continued to acquire land and supervise workers as they leveled roads and hills, planted grass and created Lake Glastonbury (now Lake Kingswood) fed by waterfalls built from natural springs. Starting in 1909, Booth consulted landscape architect O. Simonds, who recommended a naturalistic approach to reforesting arid and undulating terrain. The edges of the lake were planted with native shrubs, trees and herbaceous plants, while the roads were lined with pine, red cedar, hazelnut and dogwood forests.
The English Tudor style house, designed by Albert Kahn and completed in 1908, is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, mostly created between 1915 and 1922.The campus, which now has 319 acres, encompasses all of Cranbrook's educational facilities, including a graduate art academy, a contemporary art museum, a house and gardens, a science institute and a pre-kindergarten through 12 independent university preparatory schools. In partnership with Museums for All, visits to Cranbrook House are free for those receiving food assistance (SNAP benefits). . Cranbrook House was the family home of the founders of Cranbrook, George and Ellen Booth, from 1908 to 1949.The guild was founded in 1932 by Henry Scripps Booth, son of Cranbrook founders George and Ellen Booth.
During his visit, he requested a studio space where he could compose, and Sepeshy had the piano moved from Cranbrook House to St. Cranbrook House is the English-Tudor estate, Arts %26 Crafts style, owned by the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth. Cranbrook is one of the world's leading centers of education, science and art, and includes a Graduate Academy of Art, a Museum of Contemporary Art, the historic 26th House gardens, a natural history museum and independent university preparatory schools. The Cranbrook Academy of Art, one of the leading graduate schools of architecture, art and design in the United States, was founded by George Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth in 1932.Tours of the Smith House, which is owned by a private foundation, are available at the Cranbrook Collection and Research Center.
The Saarinen House is Eliel Saarinen's art deco masterpiece and the jewel of Cranbrook's architectural treasures. This impeccable classic building, articulated with the Ionian order, was Cranbrook's first facility intended for public use. There, the Booth raised five children (James, Grace, Warren, Henry (Harry) and Florence, in a tasteful urban environment that included private gardens and interior furniture designed by George Booth. In 1986, Cranbrook Children's School and Kingswood Cranbrook School signed a joint agreement whereby the new institution was renamed Cranbrook Kingswood Upper School.